Using beech/birch for Oyster cultivation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Reply Topic
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using beech/birch for Oyster cultivation

Using beech/birch for Oyster cultivation 5 years, 10 months ago #789

• wumpsdad
  • Fresh Boarder
Can one use all of the tree, including twigs, sterilized?

I ask coz our council just chopped down 5 trees nearby and I thought I would go and score them.

I am not sure of the species but it has white bark that peels in paper like layers horizontally.

Does the wood need to be aged long before inoculation?

thanks fopr any help folx,

Wumpsdad
Reply Quote

Re: Using beech/birch for Oyster cultivation 5 years, 10 months ago #790

• c
  • Gold Boarder
I would assume that all of the parts of the tree could be used... I would also suspect that shredding the wood into a sawdust like consistancy would work best.. It might be much harder or take longer for them to colonize in a contained environment if they are bigger chunks. Just my thoughts though, hopefully someone else will have some more solid advice on the subject.
Reply Quote

Re: Using beech/birch for Oyster cultivation 5 years, 10 months ago #794

• cultured1
  • Expert Boarder
To the best of my knowledge I believe all the tree is good, but the best part is the sapwood layer just below the bark, it will have the most nutrients. See if you can get some mulch off one of those chippers when you see crews trimming hardwoods. Depending on what you want to grow, an outdoor patch of mulch may work, otherwise sterilized sawdust blocks can be used. Another option is to get small logs (3-4 feet by 4-6 inch diameter) & innoculate them with spawn plugs. there are a few pics of the logs I knocked up with shitake on this page.
fungusfun.com/mushrooms/modules.php?...clude=view_album.php

Cheers
C1
Reply Quote
Reply Topic
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds