· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Google ads

Mushroom Books

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydnum repandum (hedgehogs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    fungusfun.com Forum Index -> Mushroom Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadakuda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont feel bad....we jsut had 2.5 feet then a whack of rain....i havnt been picking since november. not sure whats out...but i may take a boo this weekend. im still seeing some mushrooms but none of the eating kind.
cultured1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great yard c. It looks like there's some good hunting right out your back door.
Believe it or not, some of the guys in the mycological society want to go on a foray in February. There won't be anything to eat, but you can still find Myxomycetes (slime moulds) & do observations with a microscope. We'll probably find some old polypores too. I missed this weeks microscopy session, but I'll try & get some good pics next time.
C1
trickythom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any mushrooms that fruit when it is -20F?
Cuz I am ready to go out and look for some.

I think I would giggle and pee my pants if I saw a fruiting ANYTHING outside right now.
c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen some of those orange slime fungi clinging to tree branches in the snow even. Other than some expired bracket fungi, thats pretty much all I've seen. Havent spent much time looking though.
My back yard is still the best hunting place for me. I've been all over.. to parks, rec areas, farms, etc all across the country and I still find the most species in my own woods. It is a deciduous woods, mainly consisting of brich, beech, maple and oak trees. Lots of good edibles and a huge variety can be found back there. It goes back for miles, I can walk till im worn out. There is also a large river system good for keeping things moist and an area to go fishing once in a while. I probably find more stuff in my own area because I know all of the spots so well.

I am lucky to have such a place so closeby. Having the woods right there and enjoying going on hikes is what got me so fascinated with mushrooms and fungi in the first place.
Kadakuda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno about -20...but here it gets down to about -5c and polypores live through it.
trickythom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,OK..
Yea, I see lots of polypores. I was talking about more fleshier fungi.
And I wouldn't pee my pants, but I may giggle.

This was makeing me think also. When I was a kid I saw lots of puffballs. I have seen only about a handfull in the last 8 years or so around here.
I wonder if it is just my new stomping grounds or if it is something else.
Yea, puffballs. When you are a kid they are the bomb! Literaly.
Kadakuda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still play with them when i see a nice brown one. never is a hunting trip complete without a puff ball war.
shroomgal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure is a beautiful picture, c. What a gorgeous woods! Is that a tiny bird in the lower right? I am a bird lover so always notice our feathered friends.

In fact, while on a walk yesterday, I saw a mature bald eagle perched in a cottonwood. I've been told by other walkers a pair hang out there. Even without binoculars, their size is staggering!
c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure if that is a bird, nice eye to spot that though. We do get some pretty bird species durning the winter months. That gives me an idea, i think im gonna try and put out some bird seed this year and get some bird pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    fungusfun.com Forum Index -> Mushroom Hunting All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: