· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Google ads

Mushroom Books

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/header.php:32) in /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/includes/sessions.php on line 249

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/header.php:32) in /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/includes/sessions.php on line 250
FungusFun.com – Interactive Mushroom Community: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/header.php:32) in /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/includes/page_header.php on line 529

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/header.php:32) in /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/includes/page_header.php on line 531

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/header.php:32) in /home/shroom12/public_html/mushrooms/includes/page_header.php on line 532
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysterious wild mushroom...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    fungusfun.com Forum Index -> Mushroom Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Mysterious wild mushroom... Reply with quote

This solitary mushroom was found a the West Coast forest. Please help me identify it.

The spore print is cinnamon rusty brown, the cap is grey-tan and is 5-cm in diametre, it smells fruity, the stem is 5-cm long (fragile, stains tan) but the most distinctive features are the frilly gills, and fluted edge. The cap appears torn and is very solid. It is convex. The flesh is light salmon coloured. The gills are not attached.
cultured1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pic or more details? It may be some type of Cortinarius, they have brown spores.
Wind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have 2 beautiful photos but they are not online, so I cannot show you.
mark_h

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what species it is, but from the description, especially the spores it *might* be in the Cortinarius genus.

Mark
Wind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Mysterious wild mushroom... Reply with quote

I have provided pictures to go along with my description of the mysterious wild mushroom I found in a West Coast forest last week. I sure hope this helps identify it...

http://photos.yahoo.com/lizgreengroove
mark_h

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahpoo says that album access is Restricted.

Mark
Wind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Mysterious wild mushroom... Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I have changed the Yahpoo! Photos setting to public so now anyone can see my photos. Thanks for caring
Psynaut
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange mushroom you have there, I can't put a ID on it with any of my books, but it looks like the mushroom has mutated for pushing under something when growing.
Hmmm...anyone else have any ideas?
mark_h

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got me stumped as well, from the piccy it looks like a Pleuteus but from the spore print color- it cant be(Pleuts mostly have pink spore prints)

I'll keep looking.

Mark
cultured1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still consulting my guides, I'll have my slightly educated guess soon.
Wind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Mysterious wild mushroom... Reply with quote

Thank you so much for helping me out with this identification! The mushroom was growing alone at the base of an evergreen, and had come up through some moss, but other than that did not appear to be pushing against anything else. It was perfectly formed, and standing waiting to be worshipped.

Wind
morelboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your photos, I would say this is definitely not a cortinarious.

Based on what the photos indicate, the umbo [knob] on the cap, also the cap is showing splitting radially, and the color of the spore print I would have to say this an Inocybe, but I can not give you the exact name.
This is a non-edible!
Wind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Mysterious wild mushroom... Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping my mushroom quest alive. I think it is an Inocybe as well! Perhaps a Grayish Inocybe, but I cannot seem to find a photograph of one yet. I am hoping to go to a "book library" tomorrow and find out more info on them. I will let you know...

PEACE WIND
mark_h

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of Inocybe as well but I too can't get an positive ID.

As a rule, most Inocybe's aren't edible and without a microscope are difficult to positively id as well.

Mark
cultured1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a match in my guide. The inocybes in my book don't have that inturned margin or the wavy gills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    fungusfun.com Forum Index -> Mushroom Hunting All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: