Full of lobsters!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Reply Topic
  • Page:

TOPIC: Full of lobsters!

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 12 months ago #573

• cultured1
  • Expert Boarder
I have no desire to interrupt there meal or become the 2nd course.Plus becoming the food when hunting the food has some kinda oxymoronic feel to it.

Just remember, we're not allways on top of the food chain
Reply Quote

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 11 months ago #584

• mark_h
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the latin name- i may do some further study.

Mark
All fungi are edible, some only once!
Reply Quote

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 11 months ago #589

• whistle
  • Senior Boarder
Kadakuda

On some parts of Vancouver Island and the places I hunt up the Fraser Valley I would suggest wearing VERY BRIGHT colors and perhaps a flak jacket and helmut which can be purchased for a reasonble price at an Army Navy discount store. For our good friends from across the line to the south I can only suggest an armoured HumVee and a Cannon of your own. :roll:
Reply Quote

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 11 months ago #590

• whistle
  • Senior Boarder
Shroomgal

According to the research that I have seen about the incidence of mushrooms and game trails it is common for there to be an increase in all sorts of species, including Pines. I guess that the soil is disturbed by the hoofs, and impregnated by the spores through the droppings which also enrich the soil. What a fascinating process, and one which I am going to watch for next season.
Reply Quote

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 11 months ago #601

• shroomgal
  • Junior Boarder
Here's an article discussing dissemination of truffle spores via squirrels:
www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/journals/pnw_2002_carey001.pdf

I know I've read somewhere that voles are quite prolific also.
Happy Foraging!!
Reply Quote

Re: Full of lobsters! 5 years, 11 months ago #609

• whistle
  • Senior Boarder
I guess that Voles, Mice, and Squirrels would spread spores, they all eat the mushroms, as do the deer. But you would really have to Sherlock Holmes a vole trail. I have often wondered, you have the White Truffle in Oregon yes? Are any animals trained to find them?, dogs, for instance.

Has anyone out there tried training dogs to find Pines? I am not a dog person, and live in the city so I cannot even keep one. but it would seem to me that a Lab, or one of those weary looking dogs that they raise in the Southern states who track so well (any puppies funguy?) would be aces for a professional pine picker. Sometimes even I can smell an upcoming pine patch, it would be a cinch for a dog. What do you think?

Whistle
Reply Quote
Reply Topic
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds